Well damn. PokemonGO was released, and it’s kind of taking over the world. It hasn’t been ‘officially’ released for play here in Canada yet, but that doesn’t stop anyone from downloading and installing it to catch some Pikachus. Furthermore, PokemonGO Calgary!!!!!!! Wanna play too? Let’s get you started, see below. It’s free.
You simply just need to download and install the APK file (APKs = Android apps). Only download from APKmirror! There is at least one copy of PokemonGO floating around that has a backdoor in it, but APKmirror is safe. Here’s an article on it. If you use the Pirate Bay or something like that to download it, don’t be surprised if your phone gets compromised.
- APKmirror – http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/niantic-inc/pokemon-go/pokemon-go-0-29-0-release/pokemon-go-0-29-0-android-apk-download/
If you don’t already know how to install APK files on your droid (referred to as ‘sideloading’)
- Go into Settings
- Go into Security
- Tap on ‘Unknown sources’ (allow installation of apps from unknown sources).
- Tap OK
You’ll now be able to install stuff outside of the Google Play store. Download the APK and install! Or, if you’ve already downloaded it, go into ‘apps’ and then the ‘downloads’ folder thing, it should be there. You can also use a file explorer to do it. I recommend FX File Explorer.
If you’re on Android and have any questions, please by all means post below in a comment or shoot me some tweets. I’d love to help!
Alright so this is a little different than Android. You can only install PokemonGO from the App Store and you’ll need to make a new account to do so. At present time, today, July 11th 2016, PokemonGO is not available in Canada, so you won’t be able to just straight up install it as you would anything else. This will very likely change in the near future of course, but today is today, so here’s how to do it.
TLDR; make a U.S. App Store account, download game through that.
- Sign out of your regular Canadian App Store account.
- Change your settings so you’re set to the U.S region, instead of Canada.
- Search for PokemonGO in the App Store (or click here)
- Tap Get / Install.
- Create a new Apple ID/account, check United States if it isn’t already.
- Enter an e-mail/password.
- Tap None, for billing info.
- Enter in a legit U.S address — here’s one! It’s the Playboy Mansion.10236 Charing Cross Rd
Los Angeles, CA 90024
- Open Mail to verify the e-mail address you just used for the US account.
- Login to your new account.
- Search for PokemonGO in the App Store (or click here).
- Tap Get / Install.
- Once it’s installed, sign out of your new U.S account.
- Log back into your regular Canadian App Store account.
- Catch em’ all!
For the record, I’ve never used iOS or iTunes or any of that Apple nonsense, so if these instructions don’t work for you — I’m sorry but I cannot help. I’d love to! Really! I just don’t know anything about the iOS environment and would only be Googling it, which you can do yourself :Þ
If you have a friend that just can’t get this to work, I’ve seen mention of multiple people using the same U.S account with success, so you can make one and just give the login details to them so they can go download PokemonGO through that. Does this violate the Apple terms of service? no idea. It works, though.
One more thing, you might need to log back into the U.S. account for game updates. Maybe when they release it in Canada you won’t have to?
PokemonGO Calgary Facebook Groups
A handful of Facebook groups have wildly appeared. Here’s a few:
Please let me know if there’s any other ones with 100+ members worth adding to this list. Thanks.
Specific PokemonGO Teams Facebook Groups
While there is no actual difference in the team you decide to play on, I’d recommend checking out what the dominant gym colour in your area is first. If your neighborhood gyms are all Red constantly, and you go Blue.. you’re gonna have a hard time leveling up. To defeat the gym, you’ll need to take on ALL of the pokemon within in, and beat them over and over until the gym rep is 0. Not going to be easy as a lone wolf.
Anyway, I’m sure there are some great guides out there on this, I just wanted to cover some basics.
- Red/Valor https://www.facebook.com/groups/607111356114065/
- Blue/Mystic https://www.facebook.com/groups/207680566299020/
- Yellow/Instinct https://www.facebook.com/groups/ZapdosYYC/
Discord PokemonGO Calgary Chatroom
This Discord invite should be permanent. If you wanna come yap about Pokemon on IRC, there’s a #Calgary channel setup on EFnet 🙂
- Also there’s a large discussion in /r/Calgary on reddit here:https://redd.it/4s1p2j
PokemonGO Calgary on Twitter
For updates and news, some nice people have started this account to keep us all abreast.
Am I Missing Something?
Please drop a comment below if I’ve missed a big Facebook group or Myspace forum or something like that. It’s been hard to pull myself away from the game long enough to blog this out, never mind finding online groups.
Also, this is great:
— Dale Calkins (@DaleCalkins) July 12, 2016
The Crackmacs Pokemans
Managed to get an Aerodactyl from hatching an egg. Muh baby!
Only I (Mr) plays this game. Usually with mini right behind me. Afterall, she picked the blue team for me, I need her input elsewhere. S’what being a parent is about right? Anyway.
My current roster, sorted by strongest (with the most CP).