CBD Oil In Calgary
Are you looking to buy CBD oil in Calgary? You’ve come to the right place my friend. Below is a guide for buying CBD oil and other products in Calgary, for humans and pets! Legalization of cannabis in Canada has caused quite a surge and stir in the scene, too. It’s so popular in fact, people have had a hard time buying it due to shortages. Even the Alberta Government sells CBD oil on their official website. Read on and please drop a comment at the bottom of the page if you have any questions, suggestions or advice. Cheers.
In addition to CBD oil, there is a huge variety of CBD products out there to treat all kinds of conditions or health concerns. CBD topical creams, sprays, soaps, edibles, pet treats, capsules, bath salts and so on. Almost anything you can ‘use’ can have CBD properties!
Talk to your doctor before using CBD oil or other CBD products.
Table of Contents
Where to buy CBD oil in Calgary
Below are a list of places you can purchase CBD oil or other CBD products in Calgary, from non-cannabis retailers. Keep in mind that this is a grey area thing and you should only purchase products from places you feel safe in doing so. Like, maybe don’t go buying CBD oil from people on Kijiji. You always run the risk of buying something with unknown ingredients in it when you get something from a non-Government source. Careful!
Exit 420 is a small head shop located across the street from the downtown Safeway, at 825 12 Ave SW. They have a lot of smoking accessories, bongs, pipes, papers and so on, but they do also sell CBD pens and tinctures that do not contain THC. Cherry, grape, blueberry, pineapple, apple and watermelon flavours for both. At this time they do not have a website or phone number I can find.
Hemp Roots has 3 locations in Calgary, and they offer a wide variety of cannabis related products, including CBD topicals. They also have pipes, bubblers, rigs, bongs, wraps, papers, vapes, seeds, souvenirs, lighters and other smoking accessories, bowls, cleaners, containers, incense, candles, and even detox test kits. Pretty much everything.
Located just down the road from Nova Cannabis, Nova Hemp sells concentrates, and oils, grow tents, lotions and creams, crumble, edibles, CBD tea, sprays, vapes and pens, and products for pets too.
Based out of Calgary. They offer CBD oil, topical salves and bath crystals. They provide free local delivery, and shipping if you live outside of Calgary. I think this is a home based business.
We’re a mother and daughter team bringing you the best hemp-based tinctures and products on the market. Our AHO (Anhydrous Hemp Oil) is taken from government certified industrial hemp plants. That means you can get all the medical benefits that come with AHO, without any psychoactive affects. This is an alternative for people who do not like the “high feeling” you might get from alternative tinctures.
The Hemp Ladies offer a large selection of other CBD products in addition to just CBD oil.
Ten Peaks has a variety of CBD oils, vapes, pens, and lots of accessories. They do not sell cannabis at this time, but will in the future.
Licensed Cannabis Retail Stores
Each of the cannabis retail stores will also stock CBD products, but at present time their availability is scarce. I would recommend checking their websites often, as well as phoning them. It’s a pain in the ass yes, but this is the current state of things in 2019. The limited availability is affecting all of the cannabis retailers in Alberta, so no one of them are better than the other (they all order from the Alberta Government).
The benefit of purchasing CBD products from licensed retailers is knowing what you’re getting. See below for an example, from Four 20 Premium market.
Note: if you are new to this, I’d suggest buying CBD oil over cannabis flower that you have to smoke. Don’t smoke anything if you don’t have to!
Where To Buy CBD Oil and Treats For Pets in Calgary
Before we get to where you can buy CBD for pets, you might have a couple of question.
First, yes, it is safe to give CBD oil to pets (dogs/cats), however, I’d ask that you not give CBD oil meant for humans directly to your pets – unless you know what you’re doing. Even though it will work for them, you don’t want to give them too much. CBD oils (and treats) meant for your pets are specifically designed to be safe for them, as long as you follow directions, so you should just stick to that.
Why would you want to give CDB oil to your pets?
As with humans, CBD oil can be used to treat several issues in pets, from old age joint pain to scary thunderstorm anxiety. Typically people treat their dogs with CBD oil, but occasionally cats are given it as well. Even though CBD oil is non-toxic, you probably shouldn’t give it to any other pets as their nervous systems may not jive as well as ours with it. Do your own research on that.
There are no formal studies or scientific research that explains exactly how CBD affects dogs, so please keep that in mind if you do want to treat yours with CBD oil. Talk to your veterinarian first instead of know it all friends on Facebook.
- https://www.petplanethealth.com – Pet Planet has 22 stores in Calgary, and they carry CBD dog treats! I am not sure of the specifics so you’ll need to reach out to your local store and see what they have. See all of their locations here.
- https://www.pawsitivelynatural.ca/product-category/cbd-products/ – Pawsitively Natural is located in Mission and they carry cbd4paws CBD oil for dogs. Find them here: 2100 4 St SW.
- https://calgarypetbakery.com – Bon A-Pet-Treat! Pet Bakery carry Apawthecary Hemp Oil Treats. Find them on Facebook here. Find them here: 5111 Bowness Rd NW #3
- https://vetstogo.com – Vets to Go offer an amazing service where a vet comes to you in your home. They also sell 30ml CBD oil for pets! Bacon and Seafood flavours. You can order it online too.
Some people use CBD oil to help their dogs with the following health conditions:
- Can reduce general anxiety and help with depression/separation anxiety
- Helps with dogs suffering from PTSD
- Alleviates arthritis or other inflammation in the joints
- Reduce or even eliminate seizures related to epilepsy
- Reduce pain related to nerve damage
- It may help prevent or ease the symptoms of cancer
- Stimulate appetite
- Reduce Nausea
- Improving cardiovascular health
- Help relieve inflammatory bowel disease symptoms
- Prevent or treat diabetes
- Relieve skin allergies and dryness
- Relieve glaucoma symptoms
Where to buy CBD oil and products online in Canada
Note: order at your own risk. I am not responsible for anything that happens if you do. When you order from third party companies and people, instead of official Government sources, you run the risk of not knowing for sure what you’re getting. Below are a number of places that ship within Canada provided as a reference only, but I have not purchased or verified anything from any of them. I think that covers my ass? Good.
Run by the Government of Alberta. The only legal place to purchase recreational cannabis products online in Alberta.
- AlbertaCannabis.org – You will need to register and get through age verification before you can view their inventory.
Here are some other places you can buy CBD oil and other products from elsewhere in Canada. If you’re purchasing from an LP (licensed producer), you may require a doctors prescription.
- https://cannimed.ca – Based out of Saskatoon. Free shipping on orders over $99
- https://buyitcbd.com – IG – Ships to Canada.
- https://icaria.co – Based out of Vancouver, they tout their product as CBD oil for women.
- https://thenaturalremedy.ca – Based out of Vernon, BC. Husband/wife team that sell CBD oil within Canada only.
- https://birchandfog.com – They sell CBD products and are geared towards women. Not sure where they’re based out of, but they’re Canadian.
- https://budbox.ca – Requires a membership, however new sign ups are currently closed (Feb 2019).
- https://thegoodinside.com – American site, but they ship to Canada!
- https://www.earthmade.store – Canadian site. They make CBD products for humans and for pets.
If you know of another one I can add to this list, please drop it in as a comment on the bottom of the page!
What is CBD oil?
CBD (Cannabidiol) oil, which can also called hemp oil, contains CBD extracts which come from cannabis “hemp” or “marijuana” plants. Only licensed cannabis retailers are authorized to sell CBD oil derived from marijuana plants.
- Male plants = hemp
- Female plants = marijuana
For hundreds of years people have used this extract to relieve pain, help with their insomnia, reduce anxiety and for several other chronic health conditions or reasons. It’s important to note that CBD on it’s own does not include the psychoactive ingredient THC, which is what gets you ‘high’, so using CBD products will not make you stoned. CBD and THC are only two of the many different compounds found in the cannabis plant.
- Hemp oil is cold pressed and yields a negligible concentration of active ingredients (25 ppm). It’s high in omega-3 fatty acids, which makes hemp oil a great option for cooking or as an addition to skin and body care.
- CBD extracted from hemp. This variant requires large amounts of hemp oil to be pressed. The CBD is then extracted from the oil, as the concentration of CBD within hemp is so low.
- CBD derived from marijuana. This form of CBD comes from species that have been specifically bred to produce the compound, increasing the products efficacy and reliability. The cannabis plant is specifically bred to yield high concentrations of CBD (up to 20%+)
Something described as having 0 to 1% THC content means it will not get you high. There isn’t nearly enough of the psychoactive ingredients to affect your body. Think of it like drinking non-alcoholic beer, which usually has 0.5% alcohol in it. You could drink those all day long and you won’t become intoxicated (though I can’t recommend doing that, non-alcoholic beer is often pretty gross). It’s the same thing with CBD stuff.
What are the benefits of CBD oil?
Most of the evidence for CBD benefits you’ll hear about is anecdotal, but there have been studies and research done, just not a lot of it (feel free to Google this yourself). Now that cannabis is legal in Canada, we should expect to see more news emerge about what it can do to help improve your quality of life.
Here are some common symptoms some people use CBD treatments for:
- Pain and inflammation relief, especially in combination with THC
- Reducing anxiety and stress
- Improve focus and concentration
- Help with depression
- Reduce nausea and vomiting
- Prevent and reduce acne
- Improve sleep quality and help with insomnia
As well, some people use CBD products and treatments to help with certain diseases and conditions:
- Multiple sclerosis
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Parkinson’s disease
- Preventing seizures
- Reduced risk of some cancers
- Reduced risk of diabetes and obesity
- Lowered risk of cardiovascular disease
Here’s a video of a man suffering from Parkinson’s Disease taking some CBD. The video speaks for itself how important this stuff can be to people.
How do you take/use CBD oil?
While CBD is often extracted from the marijuana plants as an oil, it can be processed into a powder. Oils or powders can be easily mixed into creams, vape e-juice, gels, food, pet treats, liquids and sprays taken orally, you name it. It really depends on what the CBD is being used for. You don’t have to go far to find all sorts of tutorials for making CBD oil into lotions or other things.
Most people just take CBD oil as drops placed under the tongue. It’ll absorb into your system fairly quickly, but tastes pretty gross (if straight up oil).
CBD side effects
Not everyone will experience side effects while CBD products, however some of the more common side effects are quite manageable if you do get them. What’s a little dry mouth compared to reducing chronic pain? Generally though CBD is well tolerated by everyone.
- Increased anxiety
- Changes in appetite
- Changes in mood
- Dry mouth
This list is certainly not EVERY place in Calgary and online that sells CBD oil and other products, but I’ll do my best to keep it updated anytime I learn of somewhere that does! Please do let me know if anything is missing. Cheers! Happy medicating.
Crackmacs are a team of Calgary based bloggers, writing about and sharing food, drinks, things to do, events, contests, charities, travel/tourism, parenting, politics, lifestyle and all kinds of other content.